The University of Utah
College of Architecture + Planning

Chelsea Gauthier, BS Urban Planning ’10, MCMP ’13

Chelsea Gauthier
BS Urban Planning 2010
MCMP 2013
Graduate Certificate in Historic Preservation

Hometown
Alabama

Current Position
Associate Director of the Center for the Living City

How did you discover urban planning/urban ecology?
Originally a ballerina from Alabama, I followed my artistic passion to Salt Lake City. While in the west, I became fascinated with the connection of people to the places we live in and how both the built and natural environments facilitate such connections. I became attached to the beauty of the mountains, the natural nuances within our city, and the unique identity and community character of the region. After graduating from the University of Utah with a BS in Urban Planning, I decided to further pursue my interests in historic preservation and urban ecology. My graduate studies focus on rediscovering, preserving, and restoring our communities, specifically illuminating the complexities, interconnections, and importance of maintaining a harmonic relationship between our urban and natural ecosystems. I completed the Master’s in City & Metropolitan Planning and a Graduate Certificate in Historic Preservation from the University of Utah in 2013.

Tell us about your current position. 
As an urban planner and community organizer, I focus on integrating different perspectives of grassroots engagement to better understand, and respond to, social and environmental injustices. I am the Associate Director of the Center for the Living City, where I work to create opportunities for youth and young women to collaborate in their community building processes and have an active role in shaping the future.