The University of Utah
College of Architecture + Planning

Dina Blaes, MCMP 2012

Dina Blaes, MCMP 2012

A native of Utah, she moved to New York City to study architecture at Parsons School of Design. After leaving Parsons and working for a while in a contemporary art gallery in Soho, she returned to school to study art & architectural history at Columbia University. “One would think that a degree in architectural history would be about as useful as a degree in philosophy, but to my delight I landed a great job at the Utah Heritage Foundation upon returning to SLC in 1991. I worked as the Assistant Director of this statewide historic preservation organization for a decade. Since leaving UHF, I have been a private historic preservation consultant working with building owners to secure project financing, to apply for federal and state rehabilitation tax credits, and to find the right architects and contractors to complete the job. I also work with municipal planning offices to augment their in-house preservation staff as well as to oversee and complete special projects as needed.”

“It is the work with cities and towns that prompted me to return to the University for a Master’s degree in City & Metropolitan Planning. Over the last two decades, historic preservation has become more fully integrated with public planning activities and understanding the perspective of planners and the planning field has and will continue to benefit my private practice.” Dina graduated in 2012 with her MCMP degree. Current she work as the Associate Deputy Mayor for Salt Lake County.