The Department of City Planning (DCP) has an expansive work program focused on the creation and strengthening of great neighborhoods, affordable housing, vibrant commercial and institutional centers, while promoting strategic growth, transit-oriented development, sustainable communities and high-quality open space and waterfronts. Our aim is to enhance quality of life in the City, in part by initiating comprehensive, consensus-based planning and zoning changes for individual neighborhoods and business districts, as well as establishing policies and zoning regulations applicable citywide.
The Department supports the City Planning Commission and each year reviews approximately 450 land use applications for actions such as zoning changes, special permits and other discretionary approvals. City Planning also assists both government agencies and the public by providing policy analysis and technical assistance relating to housing, transportation, community facilities, demography, waterfront and public space.
URBAN DESIGN OFFICE DESCRIPTION
The Urban Design Office is the design office for the agency. Drawing on expertise in architecture, landscape architecture and urban design, the office provides assistance on projects affecting infrastructure design, master planning, overall massing and architectural expression, streetscape, landscape, and resilient and sustainable design. In addition to serving all five borough offices of the agency, the office also provides design assistance to other City agencies and private applicants. The department assists in developing city planning policy to support excellence in urban design, reviews large-scale projects for zoning modifications, and designs urban projects in-house where the time frame requires immediate results for the agency. The office also conducts urban design studies ranging in scope from small-scale site-specific projects to more comprehensive neighborhood plans and city-wide initiatives.
The Department of City Planning is seeking a junior urban designer with strong drawing, design and communication skills. The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude toward community service, as well as a desire to contribute to an engaging, fast- paced work environment on projects that impact the growth and development of the City. Our office offers a dynamic work environment, with exposure to and influence on the development of borough-and city-wide plans, and provides urban design expertise to the agency, City Planning Commission (CPC), elected officials, Community Boards, other City Agencies and the public-at-large.
Under supervision, performs urban design work of moderate difficulty and responsibility including, but not limited to, the following:
• Plan, organize and conduct zoning, land use and urban design studies, research data, analyze conditions, prepare technical and illustrative drawings, digital models and presentation materials, and write reports for land use policy proposals;
• Prepare conceptual designs, develop design criteria and design guidelines for large-scale planning efforts, and coordinate with agency staff and other city agencies;
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the city’s urban design and planning trends through research and field experience;
• Review, analyze and make urban design related recommendations on applications and projects submitted to the Department subject to the City’s Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP), the City Environmental Quality Review (CEQR) and other administrative procedures;
• Organize and prepare graphic and written materials, to inform the City Planning Commission, department staff, community boards, elected officials and public agencies;
• Maintain a working knowledge of the NYC Zoning Resolution;
• Perform other related tasks and projects.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree in architecture from an accredited college and one (1) year of full-time experience in planning, design, research, investigations and/or studies related to urban design development programs; or
2. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, a baccalaureate degree in architecture is required of all candidates. Graduate work leading to an advanced degree in architecture, urban design or city planning may be substituted for the one year of experience described above.
• Strong urban design capabilities with knowledge of physical design practices including site planning and programming, building layout, massing and architectural design. Knowledge of urban landscape and environmental design and familiarity with resiliency and sustainability measures and best practices.
• Strong research and analytical skills. Competence in free-hand sketches, computer-based drawings, 3D modeling, database and/or geographic information computer software.
• Demonstrated presentation and written communication skills; experience speaking publicly and making effective presentations.
• Motivated self-starter with an ability to collaborate and communicate in a team setting.
• Demonstrated ability to self-manage and capacity to take initiative, and to complete tasks in a timely fashion.
• Knowledge of New York City’s general urban planning and land use issues, policies and needs, as well as best practice examples from around the world.
• Rhino, Grasshopper
• Sketchup, AutoCAD
• Adobe Creative Suite (AfterEffects positive but not required)
• ArcGIS (positive but not required)
Click on “Apply Now” at the bottom of the posting
Please be advised only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Appointments are subject to Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval.
Authorization to work in the United States is required for this position.
Sponsorship is not available for this position.
THE DEPARTMENT OF CITY PLANNING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A COPY OF THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROGRAMS IS AVAILABLE IN THE HUMAN CAPITAL DIVISION. THE DEPARTMENT MAKES AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR DISABLED APPLICANTS.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.