Under direction, a Senior Transportation Planner – Modeling and Analysis supervises professional planners, and consultants and carries out activities related with the development, revision, and calibration of regional multi-modal networks and models.
This classification is the first supervisory level with responsibility for developing travel demand models; travel forecasting and analysis of transportation system performance; analyzing household travel surveys and decennial census data; preparing technical documentation of work performed; compiling and analyzing data; responding to information requests; and representing VTA at project technical committees.
Classification Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Essential Job Functions
- Supervises and develops professional staff and consultants, assigns work and evaluates work products, may counsel and discipline staff;
- Develops, maintains and updates travel forecasting and statistical packages;
- Develops and implements recommendations to improve existing model accuracy and efficiency;
- Applies statistical packages to aggregate and disaggregate models; develops and calibrates (aggregate) network models;
- Develops and validates highway and transit networks;
- Develops, maintains, and updates GIS databases and files;
- Applies countywide and regional models to evaluate transportation projects in terms including, but not limited to, trip generation and assignment, transit ridership, mobility, air quality, equity, cost/benefit and cost-effectiveness;
- Manages and participates in the development of documentation including model structure, run-stream parameters, and assumptions;
- Coordinates with VTA/Congestion Management (CMA) staff, member agency staff (cities and County of Santa Clara) and regional agency staff (Association of Bay Area Governments [ABAG] and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission [MTC]) to define, develop and manage regional network components and development strategies;
- Coordinates with VTA bus and rail transit service and operations staff to incorporate transit service operating plans and policies into travel demand modeling and forecasting process;
- Participates in regional modeling efforts to ensure consistency between VTA countywide and ABAG/MTC modeling assumptions;
- Supports Major Investment Study (MIS) and Environmental Impact Study (EIS)/Environmental Impact Report (EIR) processes;
- Provides modeling support to evaluate transportation and land use policies;
- Writes, revises and submits research and technical memoranda and reports;
- Applies quality control procedures for all aspects of travel demand forecasting conducted by VTA/CMA;
- Performs related duties as required.
Training and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a major in transportation planning/engineering, urban planning, or a related field and 4 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of transportation planning, traffic engineering, transportation data analysis, or related experience with an emphasis on network and demand model simulation.
A Masters Degree maybe substituted for one year of the required experience.
- Theories, principles and practices of travel demand forecasting including 4-step model;
- Mathematical methods and procedures; transportation network simulation methods and procedures;
- Transportation modeling software packages such as CUBE/TP+ and TRANSCAD;
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and database development and applications;
- Statistical survey methods and procedures for transportation analysis;
- Concepts, principles, techniques and legal aspects of transportation planning;
- Network development, checking and calibration;
- Travel demand model development and forecasting;
- Capabilities of computer program packages and their utilization in network simulation and survey analysis;
- Governmental organizations and operations;
- Community interrelationships;
- Project management methods and techniques;
- Principles and practices of supervision, management, employee training and development.
- Conduct comprehensive analyses and studies and make recommendations based on findings in studies, field observation, and public contacts;
- Analyze issues and numerical measures associated with transportation planning projects, including estimates derived from computer models, estimates of costs and benefits, and public input;
- Compile, analyze and interpret complex data sets;
- Negotiate consensus solutions;
- Estimate and administer budgets for studies and schedule and manage planning projects;
- Write correspondence, Board memoranda, planning and technical reports, and fact sheets designed to be understood by all audiences, including the general public;
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects;
- Maintain project objectives and integrity when conflicting interests may influence the project outcome;
- Resolve conflicts between contractors and VTA on the interpretation of contractor project responsibilities;
- Supervise, and develop staff;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Establish cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Please read this entire job announcement before applying for the position. Print and keep a copy of this announcement so that you can refer to it. Questions not answered within this job announcement may be sent to email@example.com.
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be submitted online to the Human Resources department by the stated closing time and date posted. When the stated closing date is “continuous,” apply immediately; the position may close without notice.
You will receive an immediate email confirming receipt of your submitted application. If you do not receive this email, contact NEOGOV’s Applicant Assistance Line at (855) 524-5627 between 8:00AM to 5:00PM (PST) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Only on-line applications will be accepted for this recruitment (paper applications or resumes will not be accepted). Job Interest Notification Cards, or copies of previous, partial, or un-submitted applications, are not an acceptable substitute to a completed application.
ALL APPLICATION AND TESTING NOTIFICATIONS WILL BE SENT BY E-MAIL. Applicants should select e-mail as the preferred method of notification. Candidates must maintain an up-to-date, valid and reliable e-mail address. Candidates are also responsible for maintaining up-to-date phone numbers and addresses on their on-line account. Due to the number of applications received, candidates must check their application status through their on-line account. Contact NeoGov for assistance if needed.
Information on how to apply for jobs at the VTA is available on the VTA Employment website and from the NEOGOV’s Applicant Assistance Line (855) 524-5627. NeoGov Applicant support is available from 8:00AM to 5:00PM (PST) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Americans with Disabilities Act Accommodations
The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you wish to request an accommodation, please click here(Download PDF reader).
Application Processing Information
All related current and past work experience (including VTA experience) must be listed and fully described in the Work Experience section of the application (“See Resume” is not acceptable). Incomplete or improperly completed online applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to ensure that the online application reflects the work experience and education needed to meet the requirements for the position you are applying for. Although your resume may have all your experience and education details, please make sure to complete each section of the online application to ensure that your information is accurately captured during our screening process.
Important: Proof of Education, either as a copy of a diploma or transcript, is required to verify all educational units listed on your application. Official transcripts are not necessary. Copies of diplomas, degrees, transcripts, or foreign transcript evaluations must be attached to the submitted application as a pdf.
Note: Failure to provide all of the required documents in the appropriate format (pdf ONLY), and properly labeled as shown in the example (for example: Smith_J BS Diploma), will result in the application being rejected as incomplete. No exceptions will be made.
Note: Applicants holding degrees or credentials from outside the United States who are using these qualifications exclusively to qualify for a position are required to provide a foreign transcript evaluation as a pdf and properly labeled as shown above. Failure to provide a foreign transcript evaluation will result in the application being rejected as incomplete. No exceptions will be made.
All applications are subject to review as to meeting minimum qualifications at any point in the recruitment process. Passing any step is no guarantee of continuation if it is determined that the applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the class specification.
Candidates found to have exaggerated/falsified their qualifications, experience, training, and/or education may be disqualified at any point in the recruitment process and may be denied future employment with the VTA.
If selected for the position, candidates will be required to complete a criminal conviction disclosure form. Candidates who successfully become VTA employees, and fail to disclose any of the criminal background information as required may be subject to discipline up to and including discharge.
Eligible Lists typically remain in effect for six (6) months. However, Human Resources may abolish Eligible Lists at any time during the six (6) month period. Human Resources may extend eligible Lists for up to two (2) years. Eligible Lists may be used for more than one recruitment. If you have questions related to an Eligible List you might be on or were on, you should contact Human Resources.
If you have questions regarding your status as an applicant for this position, please call the Human Resources Department at (408) 321-5575 or email at Personnel@vta.org.