The University of Utah
College of Architecture + Planning

Olivia Cvetko (Bachelor’s of Science in Urban Ecology with a Minor in Environmental Science ’17)

Olivia Cvetko
Bachelor’s of Science in Urban Ecology with a Minor in Environmental Science 2017

Hometown
Salt Lake City

Current Position
Community Planner, Logan Simpson Design

How did you discover urban planning and/or urban ecology?
Through the Architecture Program 

How did you find your first job after graduating? 
Planning Tech for Sandy City

Tell us about your current position, for example, what is your typical day like? or share a recent accomplishment. 
In my current position, I create comprehensive plans for cities and towns all over the western US. I take detailed looks into their economic and social structure, housing inventory, transportation network, and recreational facilities and recommend strategies to enhance quality of life for the city’s residents and visitors over the next 10-20 years. I also write development code to implement my plans. Some highlights I’m working on right now: Wasatch Canyons General Plan, Town of Eagle Comprehensive Plan and Code Update, Teton County Land Development Code update

Do you have any advice for students just starting out in urban planning/urban ecology?
Take the technical classes, take a few landscape architecture and civil engineering classes. You’ll want to know how to read development plans, that’s something I didn’t learn from any required classes, but I use those skills every single day.