The University of Utah
College of Architecture + Planning

Bergen Eskildsen (Urban Ecology ’18)

Bergen Eskildsen (Urban Ecology ’18)

Bergen Eskildsen
Urban Ecology 2018
Hometown
Connell, Washington
Current Position
Rural Development Specialist at the Utah Governor’s Office of Energy Development

I discovered the degree of Urban Ecology online by browsing the different majors available at the U. I was drawn to it based on how interdisciplinary the program was providing a combination of several different interests of mine. 

My favorite memory from the program was taking Keith Bartholomew’s Land Law and Culture class where I learned about different aspects of American history especially how it relates to land use and planning.

I took a summer internship upon graduation and through my internship as a rural planner at the state of Utah, I was able to network my way into finding my first full time position in August 2018. So it took about 3 months to find a full time job. 

On a day to day basis I am responding to emails, meetings with stakeholders or creating things maps and other technical data for the office. We work mainly with companies looking to expand energy development operations and looking for government incentives and assistance.

My advice to urban ecology students is to actively participate in class discussions because it will help them get more out of the courses they are enrolled in.

One thing many people don’t know about me is that I took flying lessons and was close to finishing my pilots license before I came to college.