The University of Utah
College of Architecture + Planning

Georgie Corkery, ( Urban Ecology, Environmental and Sustainability Studies, minor in Multi-Disciplinary Design 2017)

Georgie Corkery

Urban Ecology, Environmental and Sustainability Studies, minor in Multi-Disciplinary Design 2017

Current Position

Utah Physicians for a Healthy (UPHE) environment

I currently work for Utah Physicians for a Healthy (UPHE) environment, volunteer as the conservation chair for Great Salt Lake Audubon (GLSA), and work seasonally as the Sustainability Director for the Utah Pride Festival. For UPHE I work on growing our organization, community outreach, and program implementation, which is exciting for me because I am using what I learned in college and gaining new skills. For GLSA I work on conversation issues concerning bird habitat, which includes fighting for good policy and community education. For the Utah Pride Festival I work with the city, a Utah Pride Center staff, and large groups of volunteers to implement sustainable practices while we celebrate the LGBTQ movement.

Advice I have for students about to graduate is to not be discouraged when applying for jobs. The first phase of getting your foot in the door may take some time, but putting in the effort is the first step. When you do get a job, always get to know your coworkers and be willing to learn new things at every job you have. And for now, ask all the people you look up to what they did when they graduated and what they would have done differently. Most importantly, when you don’t know what you want to do or what you are doing, know that everyone feels that way. In those moments I sign up to volunteer for an organization I believe in, meet new people, gain new skills, and see new perspectives.