The University of Utah
College of Architecture + Planning

Chris Hupp (BS Urban Ecology, ’17)

Chris Hupp (BS Urban Ecology, ’17)

Name: Chris Hupp, ENV SP, STP

Degree: BS Urban Ecology

Year Graduated: 2017

Hometown: Independence, Missouri

Current Position, Organization: Land & Transportation Planner, Psomas

Tell us about your current position, for example, what is your typical day like? or share a recent accomplishment.
I currently work at Psomas, where I have the opportunity to design master planned communities, transit-oriented developments, mixed use developments, and infill development all over the Western United States. In addition to the design work, we work on small area plans, mobility hubs, active transportation plans, form-based codes and strategic plans throughout Utah. In a typical day I can work a number of projects ranging from 1,000+ acres down to 2-3 acre plan, and spend my time in AutoCAD, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUp, and ArcGIS. I love the work and it is always challenging and fun! At the Fall APA conference we received an award for the Sandy Stadium Village Master Plan.

Do you have any advice for students just starting out in urban planning/urban ecology?
My advice to urban planning/urban ecology students would be to learn about the different possible avenues in planning, and learn AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS, and SketchUp. They will help you in any of the avenues you will take.