Associate Research Analyst/Programmer
Posted 01/26/2021 | Full-time, Exempt | Depends upon skills and experience | Research, Analysis & Programming
The position is a Research Analyst/Programmer position at the associate level with advanced skills in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), scripting, and computational analysis related to large urban datasets.
- Completes assigned tasks and projects; and manages workload and schedule to achieve desired outcomes and meet required deadlines, with limited supervision.
- Effectively communicates with supervisors.
- Establishes and maintains positive relations with coworkers, and when applicable with external partners, stakeholders, and communities.
- Attends internal department meetings and internal and external committee meetings, outreach events, and workshops as assigned.
- Participates in project teams, helping to achieve desired outcomes; eventually serving as Project Manager with oversight of project team members.
- Conducts moderate to advanced analyses and investigations and prepares reports, maps and graphics to effectively convey the findings.
- Conducts moderate to advanced processing tasks with large urban datasets, develops innovative GIS scripting and analytical solutions, and performs other complex research and data analysis work to inform internal and external decisions.
- Conducts advanced work to automate the production of data tables, maps, graphs, and other business intelligence products.
- Conducts advanced mapping and analysis tasks using Esri ArcGIS software.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered)
Required: A Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Geography, GIS, Geoinformatics, Data Science, Statistics, or a related discipline; exposure to and experience with data collection, large urban datasets, research, and quantitative analysis, through coursework, internships and/or professional experience; a minimum of four years of professional experience.
Preferred: A Master’s degree in Planning, Geography, GIS, Data Science, Statistics, or a related discipline; a minimum of two years of professional experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Adequate ability to perform mapping and analytical tasks using Esri ArcGIS, QGIS, or comparable software package.
- Adequate ability to perform data processing, analytical tasks, or and data visualization using Python, R, SQL, and/or other scripting tools.
- Ability to prepare technical information and to effectively communicate that information clearly to external and internal audiences orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Adequate skills in principles of research, data collection and analysis.
- Adequate ability to analyze and systematically compile technical information and to prepare technical reports.
- Adequate skills in working with large urban datasets, development of innovative GIS analytical solutions and custom tools.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to moderate to complex projects and work as part of a team is required.
- General understanding of environmental, social, land use, and transportation considerations in urban planning.
- Ability to work with limited supervision but also in a team setting.
- Ability to evaluate and streamline workflows.
- Ability to support the professional development of junior staff, specifically in learning how to use advanced scripting tools to produce and automate production of maps and other business intelligence.
- Proficiency in business technology, including communication and collaboration tools used in remote work environment (Teams, Zoom, etc.)
WORK ENVIRONMENT (environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.) Examples listed below.
- Work is typically performed in cubicles in an office environment, or remotely under limited supervision
- Exposure to bright lights
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITES AND COORDINATION required to perform the functions of this job.
- This position does not have any direct supervisory role
EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM THE JOB (may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.) Examples listed below.
- Standard office equipment
- Personal computer and printer
- MS Office suite
- Programming languages: Python, R, SQL
- Specific computer software: ArcGIS (Desktop and Pro)
PHYSICAL ABILITIES that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation. Examples listed below.
- Capable of stooping, bending, and stretching
- Prolonged periods of sitting
- Prolonged periods of concentration and computer use
- Requires regular lifting of objects weighing up to 25 pounds
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job- related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Position open until filled.
CMAP is our region’s official comprehensive planning organization. The agency and its partners are implementing ON TO 2050, our newly adopted comprehensive regional plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of northeastern Illinois implement strategies that address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information.
CMAP is always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application!
CMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Certifications/Licenses and Association Dues
- Deferred Compensation (457 Plan)
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Parental Leave
- Personal Days/Floating Holidays
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Sick Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation Leave
- Vision Insurance