New Graduate Student Orientation
Welcome to the Department of City & Metropolitan Planning (CMP) at the University of Utah!
- Virtual Orientation – we will email you over the summer to keep you informed. The to-do list will get you started.
- Summer Social Events (virtual and optional) – we will organize activities to help you get to know current students, faculty, and practitioners over the summer. Some ideas include book or film discussions, virtual tours of SLC, Q&A session with current and recently graduated students, and more. If you have any ideas or want to organize something, please let us know.
- Mandatory MCMP and Ph.D. Orientation (the week before the semester begins).You to learn more about the university campus, CMP department, program requirements, and meet with students, staff, and faculty, and you will learn about planning issues in Salt Lake City.
- Mandatory Advising meeting with your faculty advisor. You will be assigned a faculty advisor during the summer. Please set up a meeting before the semester starts. You can do this during orientation week or earlier. We encourage you to meet with your faculty advisor at least once a semester.
• Do you need to find housing? Use the Off-Campus Housing website to help you find housing around the U. Note: If you are looking for a roommate, create a profile to use roommate finder.
• All students, faculty, and staff at the University of Utah receive a uNID, which allows access to University networks and information systems. A uNID is a student or employee identification number with a lower case “u” replacing the first zero. A uNID is activated the first time a user logs on to Campus Information Services (CIS).
• Your U-Mail is the e-mail address where all official correspondence will be sent. Please make sure you check this frequently or forward your messages, so you don’t miss anything. Personalize your U-Mail so it is easier to remember.
• Get your University of Utah Identification Card or better known as the “U-Card”. Locations are listed here, as well as any other information you will need.
• All students are required to have a laptop. Make sure your laptop is ready to go – see the College of Architecture + Planning laptop requirements.
• If you are interested in purchasing a gym membership or need a recreation break from studying, consider the University of Utah Student Life Center. As a student, you have access to this facility free of charge.
• Stay healthy! Learn about student health insurance options and Student Health Clinic services.